Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First blog, here goes nothing!

I believe the first blog should set the tone and expectation of what is to come. So, here we go!

Today I attended my first Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) meeting at the Gaylord-Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum. The guest speaker was Cynthia Reid, the VP of Marketing for the Oklahoma City Chamber. She spoke about Oklahoma and how she did research/launched a successful campaign targeting the states on the west coast to consider moving here.

She mentioned how in the media, Oklahoma is known for bad weather and ignorant people. Oklahoma's problem is that we are too humble about our proud state! We need to take the example from the proud state of Texas. Everyone knows of Texas and people do not mind moving there. Why let Texas be the only state that people know of? We need to promote and discuss Oklahoma in a positive light!

The way I hope to contribute to this cause is to make sure that when I mention occurrences of life, to be able to really explain it in such a way that people outside of Oklahoma can understand the love that is here.

  • Oklahoma is the biggest, small town. This is my favorite aspect of Oklahoma! Behind the accents are kind, genuine voices. People actually care about you and are unafraid to help a stranger. That is so rare these days!
  • Oklahoma is the best kept secret. We might not be the Austin TX artists or musicians, but our local art and music scene has grown and continues to grow. You can enjoy the art and music scene of the Plaza District and the Paseo Arts District, the exotic foods of the Asian District and the downtown night-life of Bricktown. All of these are noteworthy places to explore.
  • Oklahoma is growing. How many cities can say they are currently building the cities tallest skyscraper, moving a major highway to allow for more growth, maintaining a steady housing market, making national family-friendly ratings like when CNBC listed Edmond OK as No. 1 on its list of 10 Perfect Suburbs and enjoying a new basketball stadium for a newly bought, successful NBA team?

I have lived all over the world and continue to travel as often as I can and I can honestly say every time I had the option to move back to Oklahoma, I did. If you are here, be proud of it and explore Oklahoma, there is so much to learn and see! If you aren't from here, consider visiting. We have a lot to offer. If you're a business, consider Oklahoma the perfect place that is centrally located and continuously growing!

Explore OKC's digital magazine, VELOCITY.

I would like to end with my favorite quote regarding Oklahoma... "Well, I've never been to heaven
but I've been to Oklahoma."-- Three Dog Night.


No comments:

Post a Comment