Sunday, February 26, 2012

UCO's "An Hour for an Hour"

Did you know that UCO held its College of Liberal Arts scholarship luncheon, An Hour for an Hour, on Feb. 23, 2012? It's true, and I was able to participate in raising over $18,000 in scholarships for UCO students.

This scholarship luncheon had alumni, faculty and friends to Central for a one-hour event to raise funds for Liberal Arts student scholarships. Guests were asked to underwrite a credit hour of undergraduate tuition which is currently $139.20 to create scholarships for the fall 2012.

 "This event allows Liberal Arts students to share their stories of the impact scholarship have made in their lives," said Pamela Washington, Ph.D. dean of the College of Liberal Arts.

Three students were chosen to give their story to over 185 guests and in addition one student was placed at each of the 21 tables... I was a student chosen to sit at a table with 6 guests. I gave my short story, or as I like to call it, my "elevator speech." If you have not  practiced your short, "all about me", pitch, I suggest you do!

Networking... raising scholarship funds... free lunch... "An Hour for an Hour" was an awesome experience and I hope to be able to donate once I'm an alumni.

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?" --Winston Churchill.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool, I didn't know UCO did anything like this! We have great Alumni at Central!

    ReplyDelete